Sunday, December 26, 2004

Churches in Japan

I went to a Christmas service by myself on the eve at Tokyo Union Church. This is an English-speaking independent church. I had been there once before and after trying twice, I decided that I am not a fan.

My least favorite part of church services is "greeting your neighbors," "sharing peace," or whatever. I don't like it because I think it's really fake. I guess it's different if you are a member and actually develop quick conversations on the spot. Usually for me, it ends with an awkward smile after failing to respond quickly and correctly (for example, "Great to have you this morning." "Fine, thank you."/"How are you doing this morning?" "YOU TOO").

Well for TUC, they do stuff like "May the Lord be with you - also with you" junk in the service. I dont know all that stuff. I became a Christian in high school after growing up in a non-Christian country for 14 years. I am sorry to say this(well not really) but the fact is that I dont even know Lord's prayer. And I always attended rather "laid back and chill" churches. So while greeting people at TUC, they said "May peace be with you" or something like that. I didnt know how to respond to that except for my all-time favorite...an awkward smile. They did the communion and pulled something along that line again(a lady whispered to me "this is the body of Christ...this is the blood of Christ" or something close). So I just put the bread in my mouth and walked away...and then prayed.

I guess that's how many some denominations work but it sort of turns me off. Let's be more approachable. Don't read scripts and TALK to me. So I'm going to Tokyo Baptist next.

and is an independent church like a non-denominational?

3 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it wrong. The Lords Prayer, for example, was taught by Christ to his disciples. Nothing wrong with that!

Your response during communion can be silence or "Amen"...as in you agree that it is the body and blood of Christ.

I am with you in disliking passing of the peace...but some people love it.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

never said it was wrong

who are you? i wanna know who's reading me.

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your husband.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home